Tuesday, December 14, 2021

So, I Guess It's a Restart

 I've been out from writing for over a year, so this might be quite rough, but hey, if you're reading this, welcome to my page.

Okay, where do we start...

Oh, yes, today's story is about a food, and it was a food that I sometimes make, if I can find the ingredients. Why is that? Well, they don't really sell the spices for it (the factory made mixed one in this case), and only some stores sell it, as it is an import good, which means the price itself is quite hefty.



Ah, yes, this is the dish that I'm going to talk about in length. At first glance you might think that this is Fried Rice, however, it's not. This, is Taco Rice.
TACO? RICE? Yes, you are not wrong in reading it. That is the name of this dish. Looking back at it now, with me understanding fully about the meaning of TACO, this dish could be seen as something ridiculous. 😂 However, that is what they called it officially in Japan.

My first encounter with the dish was back when I was living in Japan as a college student. It was served sometimes at my university cafeteria, where I worked for the last of my 3 years in Japan. As for now, I'm kinda forgetting on how to prepare the dish. One thing for sure it is not stirred fried like fried rice, and it was either cooked with the rice like a pilaf, or spread the spices on top of hot rice and mixed.
I'm 50% certain it is the later method...

Anyway, what makes it a Taco Rice would be the spices. The one that you must use would be the spices used for making either a chilli soup or a taco filling minced meat. With that, you will get the distinct smell and flavor of a Taco.
Another common ingredient for the Taco Rice would be cheese. Either Shredded or cut into small cubes, you mix the cheese with the rice and the spices, giving that taste of a Quesadilla. Last but not least, another important component would be the Salsa and lettuce salad for making the dish taste like a simple taco without its shell. Of course, when we are talking about salsa here, it would be something simple with Tomato, and for the lettuce (or maybe cabbage, based on the picture, I don't know, this was taken in 2013), you just need to thinly slice it, so it gives a fresh and light taste to the dish.

Okay, usually people would describe what the taste like, however I won't do that. It's too hard to explain it with my memory failing me, so, in simple words I would say that the dish is like eating Taco, without any tortilla or the taco Shell. Even though, speaking about tortilla, I should be able to make this dish into a tortilla anyway. Maybe I should, if I have the time to make this dish.

Anyway, that's all for today story about the Taco Rice. If you are interested on making this dish, I suggest to check on youtube, especially the Japanese cooking ones, as they might have the recipe.
As for now, see you again on the next story.

No comments: